Floods and Flash floods are the most common of all natural
hazards and have cause billions of dollars worth of damage in the last
few years. They are also the #1 weather-related killer.
There are three categories of floods. The first is a flood from the overflow of a river or lake over a period of
time. The second is a flash flood, caused by quick rising
water in a short period of time. The third type of flood is coastal flooding, where water rises along a coast line, caused by high winds pushing water in from
an ocean or bay. In Collin County, we are most likely to deal with flash
What To Do
It is very important that you make wise decisions during a flash flood.
Water is very, very powerful and in an instant it can cause catastrophic
- Listen to TV and radio to keep updated on the situation
- Get to higher ground immediately
- If you are walking, do not go into flood waters, seek higher
- Keep children and pets away from rising water, storm drains and
- Never drive your car through water
off all utilities
- Take your disaster supplies kit and extra blankets
- Lock your house when you leave
- Follow evacuation directions from local authorities. Do not take short cuts.
- Help those who are injured
- Look for snakes and other animals that may have gotten into your
- Use flashlights
- Watch for hazards including fire hazards
- Wear protective clothing, sturdy shoes and gloves when cleaning
Remember: Never drive through possibly high waters.
We have all seen the film and pictures of people who "thought they
could make it." Take an alternate route and "make it".