Collin County Self-Help Center for Pro Se Indigent Assistance

PLEASE NOTE: This program ended on Sept. 30, 2015. It was not funded for Fiscal Year 2016, which began on Oct. 1, 2015.

​​If you have a Collin County family law case (divorce, suit affecting parent-child relationship, or modification of a final decree of divorce or order in suit affecting parent-child relationship), and have qualified as indigent (unable to afford filing fees), you must schedule an appointment with the Self-Help Attorney. The Self-Help Attorney will review your final order before you go to court and walk you through the steps of presenting your final order to the Judge. The Self-Help Attorney cannot give you legal advice or represent you.

Who can make an appointment with the attorney?
You can meet with the attorney if you are approved as indigent and you have a divorce, custody, child support, or modification order to present to the judge.

How do I make an appointment with the attorney?
Call 972-548-4558 or send an e-mail to attorney M. Lee Bean. You can download a copy of the Instructions for Finalizing Your Court Order.

How much does an appointment with the attorney cost?
An appointment with the attorney is free.

How long does that appointment last?
An appointment with the attorney usually lasts between 30 minutes and one hour.

Where do I go for my appointment with the attorney?
The attorney’s office is located in the Collin County Courthouse on the 1st Floor outside of the Auxiliary Courtroom 3 at 2100 Bloomdale Road, McKinney, TX 75071.

What should I bring to the appointment?
Bring a copy of any court orders about you or your children.

Can the attorney represent me or give me legal advice?
No. For legal representation or legal advice you should hire an attorney. The State Bar of Texas Referral Service, 972-424-6113 or 800-252-9690, can help you find a private attorney. You may also qualify for free help from Legal Aid of Northwest Texas, 972-542-9405 or 800-906-3045.

How do I qualify for this program?
Indigency for the program is based on specific financial criteria, including that the filer's income must be at or below 125 percent of the Federal Poverty Level. Applications must be reviewed by submitting an Affidavit to the Indigency Department on the 2nd Floor of the Collin County Courthouse before filing a pleading with the District Clerk.

You will be required to download, print, and sign the Collin County Indigent Pro Se Assistance Intake Form prior to receiving assistance from the Self-Help Attorney.