Medical Examiner: FAQ

Are there any employment positions available in the Collin County Medical Examiner's Office?

No, at present time, all positions for field agents and office staff are filled.

What are the educational requirements to become a Medical Examiner?

    • Graduation from medical school
    • Completion of residency in pathology
    • Fellowship in forensic pathology

The above training requires about 9 years to finish. For example, if you graduate with an undergraduate degree at 22, you should be finishing the above training by age 31.

How can I obtain an autopsy report?

An autopsy report can be obtained through the Medical Examiner's office by sending a written request to:

Office of the Medical Examiner
700 B Wilmeth Rd.
McKinney, TX 75069

Please include your name, the name of the deceased, and the address where you want the report to be mailed. There is a $25 fee only if a notarized copy is required. Please make check payable to Collin County Treasury. It is not necessary to go through the Public Information Office.

What are the requirements for being a field agent?

Four year college degree (major unspecified;  Collin County field agents who work for this office have had a variety of degrees including Biology, Psychology and Music)

    • Strong interpersonal skills
    • Interest in forensic science
    • Previous experience as a death investigator not required

 What is the difference between a coroner and a medical examiner?

The medical examiner is an appointed official who has an M.D. or D.O. degree and has as their specialty forensic pathology. The coroner is an elected official who is not required to have a medical diploma.

How do I contact the Medical Examiner's Office?

You can contact the Medical Examiner's Office via phone, Monday through Friday, during normal business hours.