​Holiday Closing: all county offices are closed Monday, May 30, for the Memorial Day holiday, and will re-open Tuesday, May 31. This includes parks offices, public works, courts and all other administrative offices.


Q: How do I find out if you have an inmate in custody? What are the current charges and bond amounts?

A: Please visit our Inmate Search Page for all inmate information for individuals being detained at the Collin County Sheriff’s Office Detention Facility.

Q: What is the address for the Collin County Sheriff’s Office?

A: Collin County Sheriff’s Office | 4300 Community Ave | McKinney, Texas 75071

Q: Can I visit an inmate in the jail?

A: In order for you to visit an inmate at the Collin County Detention Facility, the inmate must place your name on their visitation list prior to the visitation time. Inmates may only change their list monthly. For the visitation schedule, contact 972-547-5224. At this time, due to the COVID-19 Disaster Declaration, inmate visitation has been suspended.

Q: Can I visit an inmate in the Admissions Area?

A: No. Only attorneys may visit inmates in the Admissions Area.

Q: Where do I pick up an inmate when they are released?

A: Released inmates will exit through the lobby of the Detention Facility at 4300 Community Ave, McKinney TX 75071.

Q: Can I pick up an inmate’s property?

A: You may pick up an inmate’s valuable property (cell phone, keys, driver’s license, etc.) at any time. All property, including bulk property, may be picked up between 6 am and 9 am each day. You must have an ID to receive an inmate’s property.

Q: How can I place money on an inmate’s account?

A: There is a kiosk in the lobby of the Detention Facility where you may deposit cash or use a debit/credit card (Visa/MasterCard) to place money on an inmate’s account. You may also deposit funds over the phone or online through TouchPay.

You may call 866-232-1899 or visit on line at

You will need the facility locator number 275001 and the inmate’s SO#.

City Code: CCJ / Collin County

Service Charge $6.00 Convenience Fee

Plus 3.5% of the Total Transaction

Q: Can I call an inmate?

A: No. Inmates may not receive incoming phone calls. Inmates are allowed to make collect phone calls any time the dayroom in the pod is open.

Q: How do set up a phone account?

A: To make an account visit IC Solutions or call 1-888-506-8407.

Once your account is set up you may leave a 60 second voicemail in which you can leave a message or your contact information for the housed inmate.

Q: What is a PR Bond?

A: A PR bond is referred as a Person Recognizance Bond. A PR Bond is a release without having to pay the bond or having to go through a bonding company. A PR bond can only be issued by a judge.

Q: Does an inmate qualify for a PR Bond / Personal Bond?

A: Only a Judge can determine if one is eligible for a PR Bond / Personal Bond.

Q: How do I bond an inmate out?

A: Surety bond: one would go through an approved Collin County Bond Company. Visit Bail Bond Board for an updated list. 

Cash bond: one would bring the total amount of bond in cash to the Collin County Detention Facility. Determine whose name the receipt would be in (payee or inmate). When the charge is disposed of, the person on the receipt will be able to get their money back minus court fees not to exceed fifty ($50.00) dollars.

Q: What is the difference between a cash bond and a surety bond?

A: Cash bond is paying the fee in full.

Surety bond is paying a surety percentage through a bonding company.

Q: What can an inmate take to TDCJ

A: An inmate can take the following items to TDCJ:

  • Legal Material (limited to Official Documents, no unused stationary items)
  • Religious Items – One each of those items specific to the Inmate’s declared faith, if they are consistent with Chaplaincy guidelines
  • Substance Abuse Literature
  • Personal Pictures
  • 1 Watch
  • 1 Wedding Ring
  • 1 Pair of Shoes, only if a State-issued pair is initially unavailable in the offender’s size.
  • 1 Pair of Shower Shoes
  • Money – Cash, money Orders, Cashier’s and/or Law enforcement Agency checks will be accepted for deposit into the offender’s trust fund account.
  • Visitor address list. No personal letters or cards allowed
  • Identification Documents
  • Heath Care Devices/Supplies – these items are allowed at the time of intake and will require evaluation and approval by TDCJ Health Services Staff. Contact lenses shall be allowed only until state-issued eye glasses are provided.
  • Gender related items for females – seven (7) bras, if they are white in color and do not have underwire.
Q: Can I attend the Magistration Court?

A: No, unless you are an attorney for the inmate (at this time no one is allowed in the jail due to COVID-19 protocols). The Magistration process is available by video in the Detention Facility lobby.

Q: Whose name does a money order need to be in?

A: When placing a money order on an inmates account, the money order needs to be made out to: Collin County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO).

When making a payment to Jail Case Coordinator, please make the money order out to Jail Case Coordinator (JCC)

Make sure the inmates name and SO number is on the money order.

Q: What kind of payments are accepted?

A: Cash, Money Order, or Cashier’s Check (Cashier’s check has to be verified during banking hours).

Q: Can you see if I have a warrant?

A: Visit our Active Warrants page.

Q: When is Magistration / Arraignment Court?

A: Twice a day. Normally between 8am – 11am and 2pm-5pm. Times can change depending on the Judge.

Q: When is an Inmate going to be transferred to another agency?

A: City or County: typically they are given 10 days to take custody but there is leeway with corresponding agencies. TDCJ: The Texas Department of Criminal Justice will coordinate with the Jail Case Coordinator and determine a pick up date.

Q: Where to post a bond?

A: The Collin County Sheriff’s Office will accept cash or surety bonds at 4300 Community Ave., McKinney, Texas, 75071 downstairs at the bonds window.

Q: What hours can bonds be posted?

A: Bonds can be posted at the Sheriff’s Office at any time. We are open 24/7 for bonds.

Q: What is a cash bond?

A: A cash bond is paying the full amount of the bond either in cash, money order, or cashier’s check. Money orders and cashier’s checks must be made payable to Collin County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO). If a person pays with a cashier’s check they must provide a phone number and contact person from the bank for us to contact to verify the funds and must be done prior to the closing of the issuing bank. Once the case is disposed and the defendant has appeared in court as scheduled, the court will issue a refund. All cash refunds are handled through the Collin County Clerk’s Office.

Q: What is a surety bond?

A: A surety bond is posted through an approved Collin County bonding company that charges a fee for their services. The money that is paid to a bonding company is not refundable after the case is disposed. A $15 fee is required by each surety posting bond provided the cost does not exceed $30 of all bonds posted at that time for all Class B and above charges.

Q: What is a Pretrial Release Bond?

A: A pre-trial release bond may be used if an inmate meets certain criteria established by the Pre-trial department. The department, acting as a representative of the county, provides a bond service similar to that of a commercial surety company. Use of a pre-trial release bond requires payment by the inmate of a non-refundable fee of 3% of the bond amount or $20.00, whichever amount is higher.

Q: What is a Writ of Habeas Corpus?

A: An application for writ of habeas corpus, used in conjunction with a bond, may be submitted by an attorney for an inmate who is incarcerated in a city jail, or the county jail, and needs to have a bond set in advance of arraignment by a magistrate in order to be released from custody.

Q: Can someone bond out of Plano, Frisco, Allen or other city jails?

A: Yes, a person can be bonded out of a city jail if they are being held on Collin County charges and have a bond amount set. A bond will have to be signed by the defendant at the city jail and then brought to the Collin County Sheriff’s Office to be processed.

Q: Can an attorney post a bond?

A: An attorney may be the surety on a bond if they are approved by our chain of command. These bonds are normally only done Monday through Friday from 8-5 due to having to be approved and also having to get a file-marked copy of the notice of appearance as counsel of record from the clerk’s office. If an attorney wants to be the surety they will need to provide the following forms and bring the bond for us to process. They will need a surety bond form filled out by attorney, a file-marked copy of the notice of appearance as counsel of record in the criminal case, a copy of attorney’s driver’s license and a copy of their Texas State Bar Card, a print out from Texas State Bar website confirming the attorney is eligible to practice, a financial statement showing all assets and liabilities. Make sure if they have property or homes listed that an address is provided for them. If they have a homestead on the home it cannot be used, and also a printout of all outstanding bonds they have in other counties. A $15 fee is required by each surety/attorney posting bond provided the cost does not exceed $30 of all bonds posted at that time for all Class B and above charges.

Medical Information:

Q: Can I bring an inmate’s prescription eyeglasses or prescription contact lenses to him/her?

A: Yes, just bring the glasses to the reception desk located in the lobby of the detention facility. Prescription glasses and reading glasses are permitted, prescription contact lenses MUST be brought in sealed/untampered boxes.

Q: Do inmates have access to medical care or prescription medication?

A: Yes. All inmates have access to medical care including mental health staff. If an inmate has a current prescription medication, medical staff will verify the prescription prior to administering the medication. You may bring an inmate their personal prescription if it is sealed by a pharmacy. Contact the receptionist upon your arrival.

Q: How do I obtain a current inmate’s medical records?

A: An attorney must obtain a subpoena for medical records for a current inmate. ONCE the inmate is released from custody, our medical dept. will release medical records to a medical physician for “Continuation of Care.” The patient must fill out a “release of information” form with their physician’s office and have them fax it to our medical records dept. at 972-547-5390.

Q: How do I drop off medications to my friend/family member?

A: Prescription medications can be brought to the main lobby of the Detention Facility for an inmate currently in custody. The prescriptions must go through a verification process and pass in order to be accepted by medical staff.

This includes:

  • Original prescription bottle
  • Legible prescription label on bottle, including the inmate’s name that matches what the detention facility has on file
  • Current prescription (filled within 30, 60, or 90 days, depending on the order)
  • All pills inside the bottle must be the same size, color, shape, etc.
  • Must be a medication that is provided inside the facility by facility medical and mental health providers
  • Medical staff have the right to refuse medications that do not meet all criteria
Q: Do inmates have access to medical care or prescription medication?

A: Yes. All inmates have access to medical care including mental health staff. If an inmate has a current prescription medication, medical staff will verify the prescription prior to administering the medication. You may bring an inmate their personal prescription if it is sealed by a pharmacy. Contact the receptionist upon your arrival.

Q: I need my medications called into my pharmacy. I was released from custody and I was receiving medications while in the Collin County Facility, what should I do?

A: You MUST CONTACT the Medical department to request their medications to be called into their pharmacy of choice WITHIN 48 hours of their release from custody. The patient can call 24 hours a day/7 days a week, but the medication will not be called into the requested pharmacy until that pharmacy is open. Medical will call in a 30 day supply of chronic care and mental health medications without refills. Over the counter medications and controlled substances will NOT be called in. The patient will be financially responsible for picking up the called in prescriptions.

Q: I want to know what is going on with my family member/friend can you please tell me?

A: The medical department is not obliged to answer ANY medical questions that family members or friends have in regards to a patient in custody at the Collin county detention facility. The Medical department takes HIPAA rules and regulations very seriously, therefore, will not release any information on a patient’s status over the phone. If a family member or friend has information to provide to the medical staff, the information will gladly be taken and noted in the patient’s chart. A Medical Power of Attorney does not qualify for medical information to be released over the phone in regards to a patient’s medical status.


Q: How do I send mail to an inmate?

A: Inmates may receive mail. All mail must have a full return address on the envelope and be addressed as below. All mail will be searched for contraband. Paperback books may be shipped from a distributor but also must be addressed as below.

  • Collin County Detention Facility
  • Inmate’s Last Name, First Name SO#
  • 4300 Community Ave
  • McKinney TX, 75071
Q: Can I send a greeting card to an inmate?

A: Yes. However, keep in mind that it will have to be searched. If it has pages glued together or decorative items attached, these may have to be separated or removed. Giant cards and musical cards are refused and returned to sender.

Q: What magazines can I send to an inmate?

A: You can secure a subscription to a magazine and have it sent directly from the publisher. We do not accept magazines from individuals or bookstores. Although we don’t provide a list of preapproved magazines, it will be given to the recipient if it does not include content that is deemed unacceptable.

Q: Can I order commissary gift or care packs for a detainee?

A: Yes. Appropriate snack foods, hygiene supplies, correspondence supplies, and art supplies will be delivered to inmates if ordered through our iCare authorized retailer. Here you will be able to navigate through an assortment of food and hygiene packages to send to the detainee.

No care packages can be sent from individuals, they can only come from iCare.

Q: Can I marry a person incarcerated in the Collin County Detention Facility?

A: No, due to new marriage license laws effective September 1, 2013. Both parties must be present.

Q: Can my company/organization participate in your jail inmate programs?

A: Please call: 972-547-5237 or email our Inmate Programs Coordinator for additional details.


Collin County Sheriff's Office
4300 Community Ave.
McKinney, TX 75071

Map to Justice Center


Main: 972-547-5100
Jail: 972-547-5200

Social Media:

Social Media Terms of Use

Facebook.png Twitter.png Nextdoor.png Youtube.png