Veterans Benefits from the State of Texas

​There are a number of State of Texas benefit programs to which veterans may be entitled. The following is a brief description of the most frequently used programs. Contact the Collin County Veteran Services Office at 972-881-3060 for more information.

Property Tax Exemption

Total property tax exemption for 100-percent disabled veterans and their surviving spouses.
Veterans with 10-90 percent VA disability can get a reduction of their home‘s assessed value from $5,000 - $12,000 depending on disability percentage. Surviving spouses also qualify. You will need a letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) showing the disability rating and entitlement. You can contact the DVA directly at 800-827-1000 to get this letter. For more information you may also contact the Collin Central Appraisal District at (469) 742-9200 or visit the Texas Comptroller website.

Disabled Veterans License Plates and Parking Placards

You may apply for disabled veteran license plates for your car, light truck or motorcycle if you have a 50-percent or higher service-related disability, or at least a 40-percent rating due to amputation of a lower extremity. An annual $3 fee is collected for the first set of plates and a second set of plates can be obtained by paying the regular registration fee and any other applicable fees. Persons entitled to license plates for disabled veterans may also elect to receive a standard license plate at the same cost instead of the disabled veteran plates. You will need a letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs showing your current disability rating which can be obtained by calling 800-827-1000. For additional information visit the Department of Motor Vehicle website.

Parking Privileges for Certain Veterans

When a vehicle with disabled veteran plates is being operated by or for the disabled veteran, the disabled veteran may use any parking space designated for handicap vehicles.  Vehicles with disabled veteran plates and those displaying the Air Force Cross, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Army Distinguished Service Cross, the Navy Cross, Purple Heart, Prisoner of War or Congressional Medal of Honor license plates may park free of charge at a parking meter operated by a governmental authority  other than the federal government. The vehicle must be driven by or for the transportation of the person who registered the vehicle.  Contact the Collin County Motor Vehicle Services at 972-547-5014. Application forms can be obtained here.

Specialty License Plates

Disabled Veteran, Former Prisoner of War, Pearl Harbor Survivor, Purple Heart and Medal of Honor plates are among the special license plates available for personal use on an automobile or light commercial vehicle of on ton or less. Disabled veterans must have a service-connected disability rating of 50 percent or more, or at least 40 percent due to amputation of a lower extremity. Former prisoners of war are eligible if they were captured or incarcerated by an enemy of the United States during a period of conflict and were U.S. citizens at the time of capture. In order to qualify you will need a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs which can be obtained by calling 800-827-1000 and your military discharge/DD214. A fee schedule and applications can be found here.

Free Drivers License for Disabled Veterans

Veterans with a service-connected disability of at least 60-percent and an honorable discharge can get a Texas driver license or ID card for free. Proof of the veteran’s disability rating must accompany the application which can be obtained by contacting the Department of Veterans Affairs at 800-827-1000. For additional information visit the Texas Department of Public Safety website.