Frequently Asked Questions

How can the Veteran Services Office help me?

The Veteran Services Office serves veterans and their dependents with the filing of complex claims for the various benefits they are eligible to receive. The Service Officer holds numerous accreditations with a service organization and attend mandatory training conferences two times a year to stay abreast of the ever changing laws and regulations concerning veterans. 

The advocacy doesn't stop after the filing of a claim. We continue to follow the progress of the claims process with the Veteran/Dependent throughout the often lengthy time it takes the VA to reach a decision

I need a copy of my DD214/Military Discharge. How can I get a copy?

If you registered your DD 214/military discharge document with your local county clerk for safekeeping, you can get a CERTIFIED copy from them free of charge. If not and you have access to a computer and a fax machine, you can order them online here. You should receive the requested copy in two to three weeks. You can also complete a SF Form 180 and mail it to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, MO requesting a copy be sent to you. The address is listed on the form. The form can be found on and printed from the Internet.

Where do I go for a military ID card?

Contact the military installation nearest you. For the Dallas/Fort Worth area, call the Naval Air Station Pass & I.D. section at (817) 782-5244. You may need to acquire a letter of disability from the VA to establish eligibility. You can get this letter by calling the VA Regional Office at (800) 827-1000.

What is an “Appointment of Service Representative” and why do I need one?

The VA uses Form 21-22 (Appointment of Service Representative) authorizing the claimant to have professional representation in pursuing their claim with the VA.

How do I enroll in the VA Medical System?

Visit any VA health care facility. Ensure you take your DD-214/military discharge showing the character of discharge. You should also be prepared to answer questions related to your current income and whether or not you have any other medical insurance.  You may also apply online here.

Are there any VA medical facilities in the North texas area and where are they located?

Yes there are three primary medical facilities and one community based clinic located in the North Texas area. The locations are as follows:

4500 S. Lancaster Rd.
Dallas, Texas 75216
Phone: 1-800-849-3597

Sam Rayburn Memorial VA Center
1201 E. 9th St.
Bonham, Texas 75418
Phone: 1-800-924-8387

Plano Community Based Outpatient Clinic
3804 W 15th St.
Plano, TX 75075
Phone: 972-801-4200

Fort Worth Outpatient Clinic
2201 SE Loop 820
Fort Worth, Texas 76119
Phone: 1-800-443-9672

Denton Community Based Outpatient Clinic
2223 Colorado Blvd.
Denton, Texas 76205
Phone: 940-891-6350

How can I get a copy of my VA medical records?

Regardless of where you received treatment, you may get a copy of your records at either the VA hospital in Dallas or the clinic in Ft. Worth. The records are electronic, and are therefore accessible from both locations. The first copy is free and you will pay a fee for subsequent copies.

I want to apply for a VA Home Loan and need a Certificate of Eligibility. What should I do?

First, complete a VA Form 26-1880, Request for a Certificate of Eligibility for VA Home Loan Benefits and mail it to, VA Loan Eligibility Center, P. O. Box 20729, Winston-Salem, N.C. 27120. They also have provisions for sending the form overnight. They can be reached at (888) 244-6711. You can also get the form from the VA's website at or by performing a search on the Internet.

I’m a retired, VA disability rated, veteran. How can I find out more about the Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) program?


Telephone Number

Web Site


(866) 281-3254

Navy & Marine Corps 

(877) 366-2772

Air Force

(800) 616-3775


 (800) 321-1080

I’m a retired, VA disability rated veteran. How can I find out more about the Concurrent Retirement & Disability Pay (CRDP) program?

This program is administered through the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS). They can be contacted at (800) 321-1080 or you can visit their website.

Who do I call to report the death of a retired military member?

If the member was receiving military retired pay, you should call the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS), at 1 800 321-1080. If the member was receiving compensation or pension from the VA, you should call the VA at 1 800 827-1000. Also, you may want to call one of the following numbers depending upon what military branch the veteran was retired from: 

Air Force: 877-353-6807; 
Army: 800-626-3317; 
Navy: 800-368-3202; 
Marines: 800-847-1587; 
Coast Guard: 800-323-7233.

As an honorably discharged veteran, I know that I am eligible to be buried in a VA cemetery. Is there one in the North Texas area and can I reserve a spot? 

Yes, the Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery is located at 2191 Mountain Creek Parkway, Dallas; telephone: 214-467-3374. No, you can't make a reservation. The VA will provide a gravesite, grave-liner, headstone or marker, Presidential Memorial Certificate, U.S. Flag and perpetual care of the gravesite. Surviving spouses of honorably discharged veterans may also be buried there.

Can I get a copy of my VA claim file that includes everything I ever sent the VA and everything the VA ever sent me concerning any claim I've submitted?

Yes. Send a letter to the VA asking to receive a copy of the veteran's claim file.  Be sure to include the veteran's full name, social security number, and a mailing address. You may only receive a copy if you are the veteran or the surviving spouse or dependent of the veteran. If the claim was submitted to the VA Regional Office in Waco, TX, mail the letter to:

Department of Veteran Affairs
Waco Regional Office
701 Clay Ave.
Waco, TX 76799

NOTE:  If you have a pending claim with the VA, wait until the claim has been settled before requesting a copy of the claim file so you won't hold up your claim.

How do I check the status of my claim?

You can check the status of your claim or appeal by: